Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Shapes

Yesterday I was very overwhelmed by all the ideas and options I had so I had to choose what to work with and what to put on hold for possible future pieces. I have posted a lot of this on moodle so my thought process will start in this post and continue in a few posts to come.

I decided to work with the set enamel idea as a Brooch which means enamel only being set on one side, figure 1 without the bottom claws, so the brooch pin can be placed on the back of the setting.  This is because if I used my glue experiment, I would have to cast and I can't cast in platinum. 
Figure 1- Bowes, K., (2020). enamel setting prototype, set on one side.

I do not want to use a round shape for the brooch as using a set shape forces me to crop the pattern into the shape. I thought about using a shape from the pattern (Fig. 2) but this also means confining the pattern into a shape so instead, I found shapes that are created within the pattern (Fig. 3).

Figure 2-Bowes, K., (2020). shapes from the pattern.
Figure 3- Bowes, K., (2020). shapes formed in the pattern.

I chose an organic compressed rhombus shape that the pattern if viewed from different directions resembles an insect wing (Fig.5) or a section of longitudinal leave venation (Fig.4). 

Figure 4- Bowes, K., (2020). Horizontal.
Figure 5- Bowes, K., (2020). Vertical.

1 comment:

  1. Those colouring-in drawings look amazing... I think you're on to something

    ReplyDelete