Wednesday, July 15, 2020

casting or no casting?

After I chose my shape, I could not get past the idea of the pattern on the setting being flat and boring. I was thinking of incorporating one of my cast succulents into the setting to add some form under the enamel dome. I tested what it would look like with some test pieces and I think it might work (Fig.1).

The only thing is with using this idea for platinum is that I cannot enamel on or cast in platinum which means casting the succulent in silver but then only the setting would be in platinum. My sketches are not accurate as I realized I will not have enough platinum to make the setting very big so that the succulent is only in the one corner as seen in figure 2.  The succulent will take away from how much platinum is visible between the enamel if I make the setting smaller. 
Figure 1-Bowes, K., (2020).  test pieces.


Figure 2- Bowes, K., (2020). Quick sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment