Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Setting the enamels

I set one half and was actually reluctant to set the other side as I really liked the look of the dome from the bottom (Fig. 2) but I still wanted to see if I could set two enamels so I took some photos and continued to set the other side.
Figure 1- Bowes, K., (2020). After setting.

Figure 2- Bowes, K., (2020). The bottom

I managed to set the second dome using my left hand as my 'peg' to push against while setting with my right hand. It was very uncomfortable at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. I had sanded the claws on the inside, making the metal thinner for setting which made it slightly easier to set. The claws on the edge of the enamels look like a spine, which I find to be very interesting. This distinct shape is probably because my claws are closer together than Nora Kovat's claws are in her setting.
Figure 3-Bowes, K., (2020). Top view. 

Figure 4- Bowes, K., (2020). Side view, claws.

I think this has a lot of promise to lead to other designs. I do not think the double-sided enamel setting would work for a brooch, but it could easily work for a pendant or earrings. If I only put the enamel on one side, I can use this setting for a brooch as well as pendants, earrings etc. I plan on exploring this further and using this technique to make jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment