Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Nicole Ringgold

 Nicole Ringgold is a silversmith that is inspired by plants and objects she finds while hiking. The botanical jewellery may look cast or electroformed but it is all hand made by melting scraps of silver together. "[Ringgold's] intention is not to replicate the plants, but to recreate them with silver with as much detail as possible[; the] goal with every piece is to make the metal appear alive"(Ringgold, n.d.)

Her work interests me as she makes large sculptural pieces, I was under the impression that she made sculptures and that's how the objects stayed but looking at her website I see she uses her sculptures to make wearable pieces. I always worry about the weight of my pieces while making them I get stuck on the thought of would it sell. Ringgold's work has inspired me to take a second look at my castings from last year I didn't use them as I thought they were too large. My castings are tiny compared to Ringgold's sculptures.

Ringgold, N., (2021). Silver sunflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment