Sunday, December 12, 2021

Organic Chain

Figure 1 is my completed organic chain with links cast in copper and silver.  Figure 2 shows the chains' focal link that consists of a ring cast in gilding metal and a succulent cast in silver.

Figure 1- Bowes, K.,(2021). Organic chain.
Figure 2- Bowes, K., (2021). Chain details.












Whilst working at Phile Bear jewellers I was tasked with casting a chain. I wanted to make the most of my experience so I used an app called ArtFlow to mass-produce designs of my own organic chain with three different shaped links. I designed chains using the shapes individually and by mixing them.

Whilst designing I thought about using succulents I cast in silver last year as a focal point. The petals of the castings were fragile so I designed the succulents to sit in a 'flower pot' to add stability to the petals. I used ring wax to cast the 'flower pots' in gilding-metal creating a two-toned piece.

From my experience casting at Phil Bear, I learnt that it is better to cast the links closed. I moulded each of the links in waxcast them, made a mould and then cast multiples of all three shapes. I cast in copper, brass and silver so that I could play with combining the different colours because the focal point is two-toned. I planned to put together two chains; one copper the other brass both with silver details. I connected the links with jumprings. The first chain was too long so I shortened the chain making the focal point less centralized like a pendant, as seen above.

I took inspiration for my chains from Nicole Ringgold's chains to use my cast succulents except I didn't want my chain to be as fine. I looked at Louise Partain's chains next but Partain uses organic objects to create her links. In the end, my chain resembled Naomi Tracz chain's just not as heavy.

Due to the links being cast and having a mould made of them I can continually come up with new designs that incorporate the links.

No comments:

Post a Comment