Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Transparent enamel leaf skeleton

Inspired by James’ work I decided to try roll milling my skeleton leaf onto some copper. The detail transferred but not as well as I thought it would. I cut the test into pieces then tested transparent enamel. I expected the enamel to become transparent but most detail would be lost. The cloisonné blue did exactly as expected but the cactus green colour surprisingly managed to capture all the fine details. I think that is a result of the green being darker.

I feel this method captures the texture of the leaf better than the opaque enamel leaf stencil. The transparent enamel makes it look as if it is a leaf trapped in a glass layer. Whereas the opaque enamel looks more like an illustration of the leaf.


Bowes, K., (2020) Skeleton leaf roll milled.
Bowes, K., (2020). Transparent cloisonne blue enamel
Bowes, K., (2020). Cactus green transparent enamel

No comments:

Post a Comment