Thursday, December 17, 2020

Leaf wax impressions

I made new ceramic pieces that had plant impressions. This time I made sure the clay was not forgotten about because when the clay is still wet wax can be poured over it to transfer the details from the clay to wax. The moisture in the wet clay acts as a release for the wax so it can be removed from the clay easily. I had a gem squash plant growing in the garden and the veins are raised which was perfect to create impressions in the clay.
Bowes, K., (2020). gem squash leaf impressions in clay.

I had trouble removing the wax while it was hot, so I poured the wax and just left it to cool which unfortunately caused the wax to become thick. I am going to try use silicone to lift the hot wax so that the wax is thin. The thick and thin wax is ideal for different uses, thick wax is perfect for casting textured rings, but the thin wax is ideal for soldering onto other pieces.

Bowes, K., (2020). Wax impressions.


No comments:

Post a Comment