Monday, April 13, 2020

Doodles

I spent a whole day during the lockdown doing mindless doodles to pass the time. Once I was done, I filled the page, I thought it would be interesting to embroid all of the negative spaces between the triangles. I drew the pattern again onto some of the scrap fabric I have been using for embroidery. I use a fine liner that will wash out of the fabric when I am done so there will be no black lines left once it is done. I chose adjacent orange colours (yellow-orange, orange, red-orange) or as close to them as I could get with the thread I have on hand. I chose these colours as orange is the complementary colour to blue and the fabric is a light denim blue. Working with three colours is better than working with one as it can be boring and three colours will make the thread go further. I didn't draw the whole pattern because I don't fill the embroidery ring to the edges I want to draw as I embroid; I love the irregular shape the whole pattern makes naturally. The thread makes the triangles lose their ridged geometric look, even if the threads line up perfectly the sides of the triangles aren't smooth because I am stitching horizontally.

Figure 1- Bowes, K., (2020). Drawing of the triangle pattern.

Figure 2- Bowes, K., (2020). Triangle pattern embroidered.


No comments:

Post a Comment