Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Organic

Organic is anything derived from living matter (plants or animals). Organic jewellery is anything that echos nature whether it is abstract, material or non-organic material. using organic materials can be difficult due to availability under threat. Organic jewellery is also expressed through structures, colours and forms.

According to Gilles Jonemann, in the Virtual Gallery of Contemporary Jewellery, people have two needs the first is to invent and the second is to discover but the inventions destroy most of nature. Nature is a necessary space where we dream and refresh ourselves.

I feel I am a discoverer I have always been intrigued by biology which is the science of living matter in all forms, it helps that I am a biology tutor for high school students at my church. In nature, there are multiple patterns that are repeated (Fig. 1) such as fractal patterns which goes from a cellular level to the organism as a whole. There are also patterns in colours, texture and growth. Organic imagery also has rich symbolism of life, growth, decay, death and renewal which is all part of life. I will probably won't work with many organic materials as unless I am casting from them as I have a love-hate relationship with as pollen gives me a rash and organic materials can be quite fragile.

In between all my studies, tutoring and church involvement, I also run the I Heart Market for DUT. I want to also to incorporate my entrepreneurship skills somehow into my advanced diploma if possible. Whether it is making pieces and making spin-offs for the market or another way I probably just haven't discovered yet. 

Figure 1 - Patterns repeated in nature
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/d0/34/08d0343bd1321e53cbb0304c482e1d2e.jpg





No comments:

Post a Comment